The Genealogical Proof Standard is the process that genealogists follow to determine if they’ve done everything necessary for a credible work. There are five essential steps to this process.
1. Reasonably exhaustive research is completed.
2. Each fact has an accurate source citation.
3. The evidence is reliable, correlated, and interpreted carefully.
4. Any contradiction in evidence is resolved.
5. The conclusion is sound and written clearly.
This process helps the genealogist determine what they need to learn and how to approach problems in their research to come to a correct conclusion.