Plans are underway for the 2016 AHSGR convention which will be held at the Concord Hilton Hotel, in Concord, California, July 14-16, 2016. The hotel is conveniently located in the San Francisco Bay Area’s East Bay and is adjacent to Interstate 680. It is accessible via the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) from the Oakland and San Francisco International airports. The hotel offers complimentary round trip shuttle service to and from the Concord BART station thus making it easily accessible to the entire Bay Area including San Francisco. Conveniently located across the street from the hotel is a shopping center with a second larger one within a one mile distance. The world famous Napa and Sonoma wine country is a short 30 minute drive from the Hilton. The venue offers an opportunity to visit and enjoy a world class tourist destination.
The program’s theme is “Before the Storm” which will focus on the evolution and life of the colonies in the Volga, Black Sea, and Volhynia areas of the Russian Empire. Speakers have been invited from Russia, Germany, and South America. In addition, topics will focus on:
- Village Area Discussions
- Using AHSGR and on-line resources for genealogical searches
- Use of DNA in genealogical research
- Education and welfare systems in the villages
- Contributions by the colonists to agriculture, manufacturing, and the economy
- Village governance systems
- Differences between the Black Sea and Volga villages
- German Russians in the army
- German Russians in Siberia and Kazakhstan
- German Russian emigration
- German Russians in California
- Developing memory books
- Story Telling Contest
- Youth Program
- Research room with access to the internet and AHSGR books and archival materials
- Two all-day tours to the wine country and San Francisco.
Room rates are $119.00 per night for a single or double room and $134.00 for a room at the Hilton Executive Level. Executive Level rooms are on a private key controlled floor with enhanced amenities, access to a private lounge, complimentary breakfast, and an evening manager reception. Parking is $7.50 per day with in and out privileges. Handicapped parking is free. Reservations may be made by phone (925-827-2000, use the code AGR) or on line (http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/groups/personalized/C/CONCHHF-AHG-20160710/index.jhtml?WT.mc_id=POG).
Address: Hilton Concord, 1970 Diamond Blvd., Concord, CA 94520 (Phone: 925-827-2000)
Plan on joining other AHSGR members in Concord July 14-16, 2016.